What is an Electronic System for Travel Authorization(ESTA)?
An ESTA involves a visa-waiving program for citizens from specific countries. These citizens
are permitted to travel to the USA without having a visa. The Electronic System for Travel
Authorization was established to help the United States DHS and CBP utilize authorized
databases to pre-screen immigrants. This was because they could easily identify terrorists, no-
flyers, or criminals, thus preventing them from entering their territory.
How Can British Citizens Use an ESTA?
Since U.K. citizens are eligible to apply for an ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program, they use
this authorization document when traveling to the U.S. However, do UK citizens need a visa for
USA? While the ESTA means that one will not be required to apply for a visa to the United
States, there are circumstances in which a visa might be needed. If the motive for your visit
includes transit, medical, business, or tourism for a period of fewer than 90 days, then an ESTA
will be applicable. However, if you intend to stay longer or visit the U.S. for work or studies, you
must apply for a visa. While the traditional U.S. visa application was complicated and time-consuming, the ESTA
application was quick and straightforward, especially for U.K. citizens. It is best to send you the
application 3 days before that travel date. Upon completing the application process, you will
receive a response in a few hours notifying you whether it has been approved.
Which Documents Are Required During ESTA Application?
United Kingdom citizens can apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization by filling
out and submitting an online form. You should provide passport and personal information details
and answer various eligibility questions. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security screens this
information for approval. The documents required during the application include the following:
● Valid email address of the traveler
● Valid Passport from a country included in the VWP
● Email and telephone emergency contacts for travelers
● Phone number and home address of the traveler
Other information that might be requested includes:
● Address and phone number of the traveler’s employer
● Other aliases or names used by the traveler
● Traveler’s Global Entry ID number
● Traveler's personal or national I.D. number
● Phone, address, and name of the traveler's U.S. contact person
What Should a Correct Passport Have?
● An Electronic System for Travel Authorization applicant should possess a passport
whose validity is not below 6 months upon the travel date.
● When traveling as a family, each family member should have their individual passport,
● To use the Visa Waiver Program, the applicant must own an e-passport. An e-passport
allows the incorporation of an electronic chip, making it more secure.
Can my ESTA Application be Declined?
A UK citizen’s ESTA application might fail to be approved. Nevertheless, you can apply for a
business or tourist visa in case the ESTA is declined. To apply for the visa, you will be required
to fill out a D-160 form fully and attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy.
Plan your trip early enough to avoid inconveniences at the last minute.